During this episode, we talked about rosacea. It can be especially frustrating when your face starts to heat up and become red without warning. It’s not a cute look to seem as if you ran a mile when you actually didn’t. From the causes of this peculiar condition, the tips on how to get rid of rosacea naturally, we give you the do’s and don’ts to maintain a balanced, even complexion.
Causes of Rosacea
Before we go into the tips on how to get rid of rosacea naturally, let’s learn more about what rosacea is, and why it might occur. Rosacea is a skin condition which typically manifests itself as facial redness, usually in the cheeks and areas around the nose, visible blood vessels, and small red pustules. While there are a number of causes thought to lead to it, rosacea is mainly attributed to the inability of our blood vessels to contract fully after their constant expansion and contraction, which can be due to hormonal imbalances, changes in temperature, or a weakened skin barrier.
How to get rid of rosacea naturally
Although the exact root of rosacea is still unknown, here are some things you can do to make sure you aren’t unexpectedly triggering your rosacea.
1. Eat foods that prevent flushing
Ever heard the myth that eating a lot of chocolate leads to acne? While we know it’s false, it’s true to an extent in that certain foods have different effects on the body. Here are three foods that are great when it comes to how to get rid of rosacea naturally.
- Mulberry leaf: Look for cold-natured foods like mulberry leaf. They come dried, or in the form of a power, which you can mix with water to enjoy as a tea. Make sure to stay away from foods that are hot-natured, which can raise the skin’s temperature, and therefore induce redness.
- Beans: Because they’re rich in isoflavone, a plant hormone that resembles human estrogen, they are great in combatting hormone induced rosacea.
- Oranges: While known to be rich in vitamin C, oranges are also rich in vitamin P, which functions to strengthen the skin’s capillaries. This allows them to be less sensitive to irritants, and give them the energy to properly and fully contract.
2. Cleanse with cold water.A lot of us shy away from washing the face with cold water because of how uncomfortable it feels. However, for those with rosacea, cleansing with cold water can be a great way to alleviate redness from rosacea by causing the skin’s blood vessels to contract. Even holding cold water in the mouth for a few seconds can help to lower the temperature of the blood vessels that run along the throat, lessening redness in the face and neck. When you’re worried about redness, opt for some ice water, or a cool splash of water to the face.
3. Lower the skin’s temperature
If you haven’t noticed from the previous two steps, keeping the body’s temperature low is a crucial part in fighting rosacea. If you feel your body or face heating up, invest in taking a cool shower or even dunking your feet or lower body in cool water. You can also lower the temperature of your skin through cooling skincare products.
- Our recommendation: [KLAIRS] Rich Moist Soothing Serum
Look for products that have cooling properties, while also fully hydrating the skin. If you can lower the skin’s temperature by even one degree, you’re doing your skin a favor by allowing the workings of the skin go back to normal.
4. Care for the skin with sheet masks
Sheet masks are a gift from the skincare gods. They have a number of functions, depending on their formula, and all work while you’re taking a 15 to 20 minute break from the world. As a whole, they work to care for and maintain the skin’s temperature, while hydrating and soothing. Look for sheet masks that are free of harsh substances like artificial fragrances, alcohol and harmful fillers.
- Our recommendation: [KLAIRS] Midnight Blue Calming Sheet Mask
Prevent rosacea from acting up by paying attention to the actual sheet the sheet mask has. Because they’re going to be directly on your face for minutes at a time, this is a great option because it has a bamboo and charcoal infused sheet, while the essence itself contains soothing and cooling agents, as well as ceramide to strengthen the skin’s barrier.
5. Strengthen the skin’s barrier
One of the main purposes of skincare is to maintain the health of our skin’s barrier. With a weakened barrier, the skin is more prone to irritation, leading to redness and other skincare concerns. Use the right products to care for the barrier, and repair it when necessary.
- Our recommendation: [KLAIRS] Rich Moist Soothing Cream
Sometimes we can take for granted the role our moisturizer plays in our skincare routine. We use it both morning and night, and while we recognize that it’s necessary to keep our skin moisturized, we must also recognize that hydrated skin is the key to strong skin barrier.This cream is also fortified with ingredients like stearic acid, and caprylic/ capric triglyceride, which directly work to strengthen the skin’s barrier.
6. Apply UV protection
While you should be doing your best to apply UV protection at all times, it’s especially more important if you have rosacea, or easily reddened skin. UV rays expand the capillaries and can lead to a number of other skincare concerns that you don’t want on top of your already sensitive skin.
- Our recommendation: [KLAIRS] Soft Airy UV Essence
This sunscreen is a great choice, not only for it’s light essence like texture, but also for its ability to protect the skin against both UVA and UVB, as well as heat to lower the skin’s temperature.
7. Use makeup that covers redness
Do you remember learning about the color wheel, and complementary & supplementary colors? Think about makeup in that way. When covering redness, you want to use a base makeup that is more yellow toned in nature as using a more peachy shade will make any redness be more noticeable. It’s also important to note that rather reaching for a full coverage foundation, stick to products that give the skin natural coverage by evening out the skin tone, and build up coverage through several buildable layers. BB creams are a good choice, as they let the skin breathe while providing adequate coverage.
♥Follow us on Instagram (@wishtrend
) and be the first one to meet the most useful and trending beauty & skincare tips along with the newest arrivals on wishtrend!♥